Recently there was a massive argument on Facebook amongst some people I know. A couple of guys were getting angry at a girl who was ‘posting more Feminist bullshit’ on her wall. I watched the argument closely as more and more people joined in and brought up different points.
Of course, it inevitably ended in name-calling and spewing irrational anger as all Facebook arguments do. I picked out some of the anti-Feminist points and want to address them here, in the sane and hopefully more rational space of my blog:
- Feminism is sexist. I had someone recently try to argue that the term ‘feminism’ is inherently sexist. Feminists believe in gender equality; but the angle that we take is that women shouldn’t be treated as lesser than men because of their gender. That’s why the word is feminism, because society has a tendency to give men an advantage. It’s not because we want to be better than men, or immune from criticism; we believe that we should be given equal opportunities.
- It doesn’t apply to Western society. Erm, it does… there are examples of sexist attitudes everywhere in our society, from ‘rape culture’ to the glass ceiling. And even if our society was free of sexism, I’d still be a feminist- because there are so many other countries and societies in the world where women are not equal to men, and they are treated appallingly. Just because you’re lucky enough to live somewhere progressive and safe doesn’t mean that you can stick your head in the sand and ignore everyone else.
- I don’t hate men. Feminists don’t hate men! Everyone has this stereotype of the shit-spewing, aggressive, man-hating feminist… can someone please tell me where these feminists live? Because I have yet to meet one of them. I believe that men can be victimised too, I believe that they have rights and strive to uphold them. Men have problems too; they have societal standards that they have to live up to that I feel are wrong. I believe in the equality of the sexes, not that women should be better.
- I’m not a victim. Well good for you! I’m not a fucking victim either; I’ve been molested and bullied, but I’m not a victim. If you haven’t experienced sexual violence then be thankful; I have, and I still believe that society gives men unfair standards to live up to. I have every reason to hate men, but I’m a rational and compassionate human being and I try to be fair. Yes, we shouldn’t forget that women rape and assualt men, but 1 in 5 women have experienced sexual assault- and that’s sickening. You may not be a ‘victim’ but someone you know is.
- Feminists hate stay-at-home Mothers. We don’t. Feminism is about equality and giving women a choice. If you choose to stay at home and take care of your children then that’s your choice and we’d fight to get you fair maternity pay and rights. We also fight to give men the chance to be stay-at-home Fathers.
’til next time,