A while ago (well, January) I made a post about my resolutions for 2014. In May I then wrote an update on how they were progressing, I’m now going to do another update so that anyone who cares to look can see how much I can’t keep resolutions- and also feel slightly less bad about all of the resolutions that they’ve failed to keep.
Resolutions as of May, my current status in bold:
- Paint my nails more: this went pretty well, I was fairly relentless at the beginning of the year and did a serious number on my nails, I’m giving them some time off to recover from being abused with chemicals. I’ll break out the polish on special occasions only ’til I feel that they’re back to full strength again. I really cannot be bothered to paint my nails right now, and haven’t been for a long time. I have to take it off for work, my nails snap and are short (also because of work) and I don’t go out as much as I did. I paint my toenails occasionally but unless it’s a special occasion the fingers are generally bare.
- Read books: several things are getting in the way of this; mainly my own laziness. I made it through one book on my list, am part way through another… I’ve been stuck on the same page for about two months due to nothing but the fact that my laptop is shiny and exciting. I do actually have a slight excuse in that I’ve been spending my time reading plays which were necessary for my course, so I can’t be held totally to blame… just mostly. I’ve actually made a start on ploughing through my reading list! I’ve slacked off recently but am determined to get myself back on track. Especially as I seem to gain more books by the day…
- Do more rituals: I failed spectacularly at this one! Nothing to excuse me other than the fact I actually have no time to myself, I was either out doing things or having to rehearse late into the night. Fingers crossed that Litha will involve an all-night vigil… it’s never too late to try! I had an all-night vigil for Litha. And then failed awesomely at repeating that. I’ve started listening to Druidcast again though, so my head is firmly in a Pagan place.
- Edit my latest novel: meh, it’s going to take a lot of work. I mean, I did think about it but I came to the conclusion that I just don’t have the time right now. No comment.
- Plan another novel: I’m currently working on some ideas, the problem is that nothing’s really grabbing me at all and I don’t like forcing novels. They have to grow organically. Still working on ideas but I’ve actually started a short story!! Yay!
- Say ‘No’: wow, I did this… I really actually did this. I created some boundaries with friends who I felt were taking liberties, I actually agreed that I deserved better in terms of my romantic/sexual relationships and ended things that weren’t working. I also said no to people that I knew it wasn’t going to work with and mentally cleared out my romantic graveyard. Then I said ‘yes’ to a guy that I’d liked for a while but knew nothing about; best decision I’ve ever made. I grew some balls, waited, and was rewarded with a guy who is more than I could have ever asked for. I really did this- I said ‘no’ to my ex-teacher and decided to go it alone for a year. I couldn’t be happier with the result.
So there we are, overall I think more progress has been made than when I last checked in so I am feeling slightly better about myself. I think for the Celtic New Year I’ll come up with some resolutions that reflect how things are now, kick out the resolutions that aren’t working for me and take a different approach. Until then… well, I have some serious reading to do…
’til next time,